Major Things to Look for in a Landscape Contractor
Are you looking for a landscape contractor to add some aesthetic appeal to your yard? If yes, then you must know that hiring a landscape professional involves certain checks. This article will provide you with all the essential information required to hire a landscape designer. But before we discuss that, let’s take a look at what services can a landscape designer provide you. You can hire a landscape professional for one or more of the following reasons:
- For clearing and then grading the land.
- For creating appropriate drainage on the land.
- For building masonry walls, water bodies, patios, paving, decks, or any other creative work of art.
- For developing irrigation facilities.
- For designing specialty gardens and interior landscapes.
- For installing lighting and creating aesthetic effects with garden lights.
- For selecting and planting flowers, trees, and ornamental grasses.
- Making your garden pesticide and chemical free.
- For checking the water usage and reducing any excessive use of water.
Landscape contractors offer the following specialized services. You would have to hire them according to their specialization:
- Some landscape contractors specialize in both interior and exterior landscaping projects, while some only have experience in offering either interior or exterior landscaping services.
- A professional landscape contractor must at least have some basic horticulture
- Landscape contractor must have sufficient experience in pruning, pest management, and fertilization.
- Check if a landscape contractor is a commercial or residential You cannot hire a residential contractor for a commercial landscaping project.
- Some landscape contractors gain specialization in just planting flowers and trees, while others also have sufficient experience in designing water bodies, pools, and walls.
- Some qualified landscape contractors plan your entire exterior landscape and build patios, decks, and gazebos.
Things to Check Before Hiring
Ask each shortlisted landscape contractor to provide a list of references and his or her portfolio. This would give you an idea of the kind of landscaping projects a contractor has previously worked on. Request them to give you a tour of their completed projects, and if possible, visit one of their worksites where the work is in progress. It would be quite an educational experience for you. Here’s a list of things to check before hiring a landscape contractor:
- Do some online research about the landscape firm you’re interested to hire a contractor from.
- See what kind of community work each landscape contractor has done.
- Check each contractor’s biography.
- See the pictures of the work each contractor has done. You can easily find some of them on their website.
- Make sure the contractor you’re hiring has a license.
This list is not exhaustive. There are other important things that you can consider as well when hiring a landscape contractor, such as the contractor’s reputation for completing projects on time, his behavior, and his communication skills. All these factors are equally important and can help you make a better decision. If you’re in search of a reliable landscape contractor, then contact Fresh Cut Lawn and Landscape and request a quote for services today!